Spotlight on: Architectural wire mesh
Architectural wire mesh continues to be one of the most popular materials for interiors and exteriors because of its incredible strength and durability yet delicate appearance.
Here’s what you need to know about architectural wire mesh if you are considering different materials for your project:
What is architectural wire mesh?
Architectural wire mesh typically refers to woven wire mesh. Woven wire mesh is a pliable mesh that is created by weaving longitudinal and transverse wires together to create tension. Because it can bend without breaking, woven wire mesh is ideal for balustrade, balconies, screening and ventilation. And because it can conform to any shape, woven wire mesh is also used for interior decoration and artistic uses.
What types of architectural wire mesh are available?
Woven wire mesh has many different designs, depending on end use and desired aesthetics. Specification options include:
- Stainless steel: Architectural mesh comes in 304 and 316 grade stainless steel, making it a long-lasting material for exteriors or for creating an industrial, minimalist look for interiors.
- Brass: Brass wire mesh has grown in popularity thanks to the on-going metallic trend and move towards warmer metals. Brass mesh is often used by interior designers to add high-end glamour and shine without the high expense.
- Tight or open-weave mesh: Woven wire mesh can be specified in different open area percentages, to create architectural mesh that is either tightly woven or larger spaced. It is also available in a double-mesh design.
- Wire thickness: Architectural mesh is available in different wire diameters, from the finest 0.57mm to the thickest 3mm.
Considerations when ordering architectural wire mesh
To ensure you order the right profile of wire mesh, consider:
- Product location: interior or exterior?
- Safety: Will the architectural mesh be under pressure or force? Architectural wire mesh for balustrade and balconies will need to meet different strength specifications compared to wire mesh for decorative use.
- Performance and function: What will the wire mesh be used for? End-use influences which profiles are suitable.
- Special requirements: Will the wire mesh be installed in an environment where corrosion resistance is key?
The Arrow Metal team can advise the best architectural wire mesh profile for your project, taking into account your timescales and budget.
Arrow Metal Project inspiration: Queen Victoria Building
Brass wire mesh was a key element of the redevelopment of Sydney’s historic QVB building.
Arrow Metal provided two different profiles of architectural wire mesh in brass for the revamp of the shopping centre’s elevators, in keeping with the building’s Victorian décor. Take a look at the finished project in our Project gallery.
Architectural wire mesh: Ready to ship now
Arrow Metal has stainless steel and brass architectural wire mesh ready for dispatch to anywhere in Australia. We have 20 different types of 304 stainless steel mesh, 25 types of 316 stainless steel mesh and six different profiles of brass wire mesh, all in-stock now for immediate shipment. Talk to our expert team for profile advice or to place an order on (02) 9748 2200. You can also send us an online enquiry.Posted: May 7, 2019