Buying wire mesh top tips
Wire mesh is still oh-so on-trend for interiors and exteriors. But if you want to create the look, do you know exactly what to buy? Our team has put together these handy tips for buying wire mesh, to help you get the perfect mesh-match for your project:
Do you want welded or woven wire mesh?
You might think that wire mesh all looks pretty similar. But in actual fact there are two types – woven and welded – that are made in very different ways. It’s important to understand the benefits of each when you’re buying wire mesh, so the mesh is suitable for what you have in mind.
Let’s start with woven:
- Woven wire mesh is made by weaving longitudinal and transverse wires together. This means you can create very fine mesh, right up to coarse and high tensile mesh.
- The versatile choice of mesh style, including double-wire options, makes it great for architectural facades, decorative screening or balustrade, because it’s secure and strong too.
- Woven wire mesh is also really pliable and flexible, if you wanted to shape it to create a more unusual and unique look.
In contrast, welded wire mesh:
- Is made by welding together the longitudinal and transverse wires. This gives it superior strength, because of the resistance welding at each overlapping joint.
- Is a great solution for any project where the mesh needs to be load-bearing. Larger opening sizes can be achieved without compromising strength.
- Is thicker than woven wire mesh, and much more rigid and inflexible.
What metal should you choose?
Both woven and welded wire mesh are available in either 304 or 316 grade stainless steel. And again, there are key differences here to consider when buying wire mesh.
304 stainless steel is suited to most architecture uses, but if you’re planning to install the mesh in a corrosive-rich environment, like a coastal location, 316 would be a better option as it has greater resistance.
And how about brass? Brass wire mesh has been everywhere over the past few years, adding a touch of glamour and sophistication to the most prestigious and high-brow homes, restaurant and retail interiors and commercial buildings. If you want brass wire mesh, that’s only made as the woven type.
Wire mesh in sheets and rolls
At Arrow Metal our wire mesh is supplied in rolls of various lengths according to the profile chosen. We also have many profiles that are supplied in sheets of 2.4m for smaller projects and ease of transport.
Our wire mesh typically comes in two widths – 1200m or 1220m for further flexibility in choices of products.
Have a chat to the Arrow Metal team of your project and we’ll advise what best meets your requirements.
Download wire mesh brochures
If you’re not sure what type of wire mesh you need, we’re always happy to help and advise. Call us on (02) 9748 2200 or send us an online enquiry.Posted: April 20, 2020